Friday, March 29, 2013

Auschwitz & Zapiekanki

Poland Day 2..
By far the most enlightening day of the trip.
The "MASSOC Rocks Poland" group decided to fork out some extra moolah in order to get a private guide and bus to the Auschwitz Concentration Camps, Auschwitz I & Auschwitz II Birkenau.

Some of us already had prior knowledge of the camps before the tour whereas I didn't know nuts about anything as I never liked history and wars to begin with (now I am randomly reading up about Auschwitz when I have nothing to do).

It was a 2 hours drive to the camps which is located in Oświęcim. I should mention here that it was even COLDER than the day before and everywhere was covered with snow! We started off at Auschwitz I which was the original main camp. Our tour guide brought us to various blocks within the camp that have turned into exhibition spaces as well as some that were in their original state (mainly the imprisonment cells).

 
  

What struck me the most was how organised the Nazis were and the fact that they successfully injected some form of hope into the captives when they were actually going to mass exterminate them. We were talked through the process where the captives were sorted according to their health where the weaker ones were immediately brought to the gas chambers. How they use a substance called Zyklon B to mass exterminate the captives and how their hair was cut off and sold to be used in the making of carpets/material. There was also multitudes of displays of the captives belongings that were left over at the site after liberation.

 

After touring through Auschwitz I, we moved on to Auschwitz II Birkenau which is a bigger campsite that held most of the exterminations. I'll just post pictures and stop rambling, the pictures say it all anyways..


 

After the tour, we headed over to a quaint cafe for some food and shelter from the cold. Also, more camwhoring opportunities for the group haha!

The lovely peeps sitting on my either side...

Once our tummies were filled, we headed off to the jewish quarters for a wander.

  


I tried looking for a photo of the amazing Zapiekanki we had but I think we were all so captivated by it we just gobbled it up without thinking.. :(

To be continued: Warsawa!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com